General Terms and Conditions (GTC)
1. Area of Application of the General Terms and Conditions
The following General Terms and Conditions (GTC) govern the legal relationship between
- CPE Europe GmbH, Albert-Einstein-Ring 11-15, 22761 Hamburg, Germany (hereinafter referred to as “CPE”), operator of the UMCH Campus in Hamburg, Germany
- the applicant for the above-designated course (hereinafter referred to as “customer”).
2. Scope of Services
(1) CPE offers a 3-weeks, English-language ”Pre-Med Intensive Course“ and a 12-week, English-language ”College Semester“.
- The “Pre-Med Intensive Course“ covers the subjects of biology, chemistry and physics and consists of approximately 120 teaching units.
- The “College Semester” covers several science subjects and consists of approximately 270 teaching units.
(2) The course fee is
- 2,900.00 Euro for the 3-week course Pre-Med Intensive Course
- 6,800.00 Euro for the 12-week College Semester
CPE reserves the right to reduce these prices during special discount periods. During such periods, the above-determined prices are adapted in accordance with the designated new prices which are indicated on page 1 of this application form. After the end of special discount periods, the original prices (determined above in the present subsection) will apply again.
(3) CPE reserves the right to change the content of the course(s) or to appoint other lecturers insofar as this is required and acceptable for the customer.
(4) The exact time of execution of the teaching units of the course(s) (within the above-designated periods) is subject to the decision-making of CPE; the customer is not entitled to demand the execution at a particular point of time. In addition to that, also the exact way in which (selected) teaching units are executed/delivered – for example, (partially) in a digital/online way – is subject to the exclusive decision-making power of CPE; the customer is not entitled to demand a particular way for their execution/delivery.
(5) In the case of the emergence of unforeseeable, unexpectable, unpreventable, and exceptional events which cannot be influenced, prevented, or stopped by neither CPE nor by the customer (force majeure) – as, for example, regional or global epidemics (such as COVID-19), natural disasters, terrorist attacks, or wars/armed conflicts – and which hampers, restricts/limits, and/or forbids the execution of the course by direct and/or indirect impacts (such as corresponding/related official, legal, and/or governmental measures/actions/restrictions/etc.), the obligation to pay the above-determined course fees remains unaffected as long as CPE offer the customer to execute the course (or to complete the remaining parts) in other ways (for example, through digital/online means).
3. Conclusion of Contractual Agreement
By signing and returning the “application form” to CPE, the customer submits a binding offer to conclude a sales contract (or purchase agreement) concerning services agreed to in paragraph 2 (Scope of Services). The contract is concluded with the receipt of an acceptance letter by CPE which is sent to the customer via email.
4. Travel and Accommodation Costs Requirements
Customers are responsible for organizing and paying for their own travel costs (to the course location) as well as for their accommodation.
The customer has to take care of all aspects relevant to his/her course that fall within his/her sphere of responsibility and risk. This includes,
but is not limited to, personal legal obligations (such as obtaining residence permits/visas) and personal practical matters (such as organizing transportation and accommodation).
5. Requirements Concerning the Customer’s Internet Connection
It is the sole responsibility of the participating, online customer in the above-designated course(s) to ensure to have a stable internet connection with sufficient bandwidth (at least 100 megabit per second, 100 Mbit/s) and to have a functional and internet-capable personal computer which is equipped with a webcam, microphone, and speakers and which can run all the required software (specifically Zoom and Panopto). CPE do not offer any technical support or instructions. Technical problems which do not fall in the exclusive responsibility and sphere of influence of neither CPE do not entitle the customer to demand (partial) refunds of the course fee(s) or cancel the contract.
6. Withdrawal and Reimbursement of Course Fees by CPE and UMCH
CPE is entitled to withdraw from the contract if one of the following justifiable reasons is given:
- If the lecturer(s) or instructor(s) is/are not able to teach the course(s) (particularly due to illness) and CPE could not find substitute lecturer(s)/instructor(s) – even though they have made reasonable efforts to do so.
- If the intended minimum number of students for a course (twenty participants) is not met, CPE has the right to cancel the course, but at the latest seven days before its beginning. The necessity for the right to cancel the course(s) derives from the fact that the organization and execution of such courses is cost-intensive and, consequently, only reasonable if the necessary financial expenses can be fully covered with course fees.
If a course is cancelled, the course fee will be fully refunded to the customer (respectively to his/her parent(s)/legal guardian(s). But neither CPE can be held liable for other costs, expenses, compensations (of damages), etc. (compare also art. 6 of these GTCs). It is the customer’s (or his/her parents’/legal guardians’) responsibility to make sure to prevent wasted expenses (for example, by booking travel arrangements/accommodations which cannot be cancelled on short notice).
7. Liability of CPE and UMCH
CPE shall be liable without limitation for intent and gross negligence. CPE shall only be liable for simple negligence – except in cases of injury to life, body or health – if essential contractual obligations have been breached; in this respect, liability shall be limited to the foreseeable damage typical of the contract. Any further liability – with the exception of mandatory strict liability – is excluded.
8. Course Materials and Resources
The customer is obliged to use study materials (books, texts, scripts, exams, etc.) – to which he/she gets access due to his/her participating in the above-mentioned course(s) – only and exclusively for private educational purposes. Additionally, the customer agrees not to share, to distribute, or to publish any of these materials.
The GTCs just as well as the entire legal relationship between the customer and CPE is governed by the applicable law of the Federal Republic of Germany, excluding the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
10. Cancellation Policy / Cancellation Right
You have the right to cancel this contract within fourteen days without giving reasons. The cancellation period shall be fourteen days from the date of the conclusion of the contract.
In order to exercise your right of cancellation, you must inform us
CPE Europe GmbH
22761 Hamburg, Germany
of your decision to cancel the contract through a clear statement (e.g., fax, e-mail, or mail sent by post). You can use the attached sample cancellation form, which is not mandatory.
In order to comply with the cancellation period, it is sufficient that you send the notification of the exercise of the cancellation before the expiry of the cancellation period.
Consequences of Cancellation of the Contract
In the case of cancellation of this contract, we shall reimburse you the payments we have received from you immediately and at the latest within 14 days from the day in which we received the notification of your cancellation of this contract. Unless explicitly agreed otherwise with you, we will use the same means of payment that you used in the original transaction for the refund. Under no circumstances will you be charged for this refund.
If you have requested that the services be commenced within the cancellation period, you shall pay us a reasonable amount equal to the proportion of the services already provided by the time you notify us of the right of cancellation with respect to this contract in relation to the entire services provided in the contract.